Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Jan 9: Stage to Screen

The film version of Sweeney Todd is still one of the top 10 movies at the box office this week. Tim Burton's take is a bit too 'blood spraying everywhere like Monty Python'-esque for my taste, but it's great to see more stage musicals getting the film treatment. So this week, a glimpse into the world of the stage-to-screen jump, past and present. As for the future, I'm excited for the Mamma Mia film this summer.

On the Town - New York New York , Gene Kelly/Frank Sinatra (Warner Home Video)
The Music Man - The Sadder but Wiser Girl, Robert Preston (Warner Bros.)
The King and I - Shall I Tell You What I Think of You, Marni Nixon/Deborah Kerr (Angel Records)
West Side Story - I Feel Pretty, Jo Anne Miya/Marni Nixon/Suzie Kaye/Yvonne Othon (Sony Classical/Legacy )
My Fair Lady - Wouldn't It Be Loverly, Marni Nixon (Sony)
The Sound of Music - Maria, Marni Nixon/Nuns (BMG/RCA)
Oliver! - Food Glorious Food, Boys (RCA)
Cabaret - Maybe This Time, Liza Minnelli (Hip-O Records)
Fiddler on the Roof - Sunrise Sunset, Topol/Ensemble (RCA)
Grease - Summer Nights, John Travolta/Olivia Newton-John (Polygram International)
Little Shop of Horrors - Skid Row (Downtown), Rick Moranis/Ellen Greene (Geffen)
Chicago - All That Jazz, Catherine Zeta-Jones (Sony)
Hairspray - Good Morning Baltimore, Nikki Blonsky (Sony Classical)
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street - Not While I'm Around, Edward Sanders/Helena Bonham Carter (Nonesuch)

No comments: