Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Mar 14: Are Looks Everything?

March is National Women’s History Month, so let's hear songs that objectify women. (Come on, I'm into irony.) Seriously, we're exploring how beauty is perceived on the stage, and the attention to what makes a woman supposedly ‘beautiful.’ As a rule, I generally come to work with no makeup, and frizzy hair. I like to think that looks have no impact on inner beauty.
Or am I being hypocritical? I met my husband after he saw me on stage in a play, and wanted to meet that beautiful lady. When he talked to me after the show, my first thought was 'Helllllllo Tall, Dark, and Handsome." Much as we'd like looks to NOT be important, it's a fact of life.

In any case, this week's songs
I Feel Pretty - West Side Story OBC
How Lovely to Be a Woman - Bye Bye, Birdie (1960)
If A Girl Isn't Pretty - Funny Girl
Dance: Ten; Looks: Three - A Chorus Line [2006 Broadway Cast]
Lovely (from A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum) - Putting It Together: A Musical Review
Decorate The Human Face (from Colette Collage) - The Show Goes On
Popular - Wicked
Perfect Isn't Easy - Oliver & Company
Paris Original - How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying
Satin And Silk - Silk Stockings
My Strongest Suit - Aida
Miss Celie's Pants - The Color Purple
Big, Blonde And Beautiful - Hairspray
Some Girls -
Once On This Island

No comments: