Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Mar 7: Happy Birthday

Another month, another set of birthdays to celebrate. I love looking through these lists, it brings so many talented people to mind.

Al Jolson - You Made Me Love You (The Honeymoon Express)
Pearl Bailey - Legalize My Name, St. Louis Woman
Shirley Jones and Gordon MacRae - If I Loved You Carousel (film 1956)
Jack Cassidy - Wish You Were Here
Richard Kiley - Man Of La Mancha (I, Don Quixote) Man Of La Mancha
Rex Harrison - Why Can't The English? My Fair Lady
Ruthie Henshall - All That Jazz Chicago - London 1998
Liza MinnelliCabaret: Original Soundtrack Recording (1972 Film)
Glenn Close - With One Look - Sunset Boulevard - Los Angeles
Elaine Paige - As If We Never Said Goodbye (Sunset Boulevard) on her Encore album. Her BBC show each Sunday is interesting, although she doesn't share many personal stories like I wish she would.
Stephen Sondheim - Anyone Can Whistle on Sondheim Evening: A Musical Tribute
John Cullum - On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
Victor Garber - All For The Best Godspell: The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

So who else would I have included if I had the room?
- Married couple Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker.
- Chip Zien, a favorite of mine for both Into the Woods and the Marvin Trillogy. (I like him as psychiatrist Mendal more than as Marvin, though.)
- John Barrowman. He's been off my radar, as he hasn't done an original cast recording in the states, and I haven't taken the time to check out the new Doctor Who series. Turns out I've been really missing out! He sat in for Elaine Paige's BBC radio show recently and then noticed he was on my Putting It Together DVD. What a presence, what a voice. With dual citizenship in Great Britain and the States, he sounds like a Yank but has starred in the West End and on British TV for quite a while. You WILL be hearing more from him on Matinee in the future.

No comments: