Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Feb 14: Happy Valentine's Day

BroadwayWorld.com has a great list of favorite love songs, picked by showbiz professionals. I took a look at the first, 2005, list and used it as a basis for the Valentine's Day show. Songs and albums (with links to Amazon - purchase and raise money for Matinee to buy more great CDs to share on the air! Cheap advertising ploy, I know...)

If Ever I Would Leave You from Camelot (Robert Goulet, of course)
All the Things You Are from Very Warm For May, on Great American Songwriters (out of print) with Bruce Hubbard
I Got Lost In His Arms from Annie Get Your Gun (1957 Television Cast) Mary Martin
A Quiet Thing (Flora, the Red Menace) on Brent Barrett's The Kander and Ebb Album
Loving You from Passion Donna Murphy
Unusual Way from Nine Laura Benanti (with Antonio Banderas jumping in near the end)
Bill from Christine Andreas's Here's to the Ladies...
What Makes Me Love Him from The Apple Tree, this version from Sarah Brightman's The Songs that Got Away (I do hope they release a CD of either the current production with Kristin Chenoweth or the similar concert version from 2005).
My Funny Valentine from Babes In Arms Erin Dilly (speaking of Encores...)
Maria from West Side Story OBC Larry Kert
Tonight from West Side Story film Jim Bryant and Marni Nixon
What More Can I Say? from Falsettoland Michael Rupert
Shouldn't I Be Less in Love with You? from I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change Robert Roznowski
Human Heart from Once On This Island Andrea Frierson (someday I'll have to get the London Cast which I saw; PP Arnold did an incredible job singing this song.)

Have a wonderful Valentine's Day. And if you're sick of the whole love thing, next week's show is for you: featuring Audra McDonald's take on Down With Love.

No comments: