Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Feb 3: If You Were Gay

Probably the most comprehensive essay about gays and musical theater is at musicals101.com. Many thanks as always to John B. Kenrick for his insight.
As I say in this show, I've only scratched at the surface of gay musicals. Here's a near-complete list: queermusicheritage.us/gaymus.html.

Gay Paree - Robert Preston, Victor/Victoria [Original Soundtrack] (GNPD)
The Misfit's Lament - Chad Miller, Bed, Boys & Beyond (Original Cast Record)
Masculinity - Jerry Herman, La Cage aux Folles [Original C (RCA)
There! Right! There! - Michael Rupert, Legally Blonde (Original Broadway Cast) (Ghostlight)
Lookin' at Me - Kirby Tepper, Gay 90's Musical [Original Cast] (Colosseum)
Gay Today - Alfredo Alvarez, Bed, Boys & Beyond (Original Cast Record)
Coming Out - Alfredo Alvarez, Bed, Boys & Beyond (Original Cast Record)
We Kiss in a Shadow - Cheyenne Jackson; Michael Feinstein, The Power of Two (Harbinger Records)
If You Were Gay - John Tartaglia; Rick Lyon, Avenue Q (BMG)
Too Gay for You/Too Het'ro for Me - Bryan Batt, Forbidden Broadway Strikes Back (DRG)
And the Ship Sails On - Kirby Tepper, Gay 90's Musical [Original Cast] (Colosseum)
I'll Cover You - Jonathan Larson, Rent [Original Soundtrack] Disc 1 (Warner Bros.)
Searchin' for a Euphemism - James Wesley; Thomas E. Schultheis, Bed, Boys & Beyond (Original Cast Record)
What Would I Do? - Michael Rupert, Stephen Bogardus, Falsettoland [Original Off-Broadway Cast] (DRG)
I Am What I Am - George Hearn, La Cage aux Folles [Original Cast] (RCA)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an original Spokane Radio production?? I'm so proud of our Spokane town! Thanks for producing such an entertaining show for my lunch break.

Janean said...

Yup, original and Spokane! Thanks for the compliment!
I'm happy to say that several people asked me how to hear the show again to catch something they missed (that little link on the upper right-hand side). Only one person called the station with any qualms about this particular show, a gentleman who wanted to know if a show about heterosexual issues would be as "explicit." I appreciate his opinion, I'd really like to know which song he was concerned by, almost every "explicit" song gets a mark in my book as being "not for radio" much as I might like it myself. A show on heterosexual marriage could be actually racier. I certainly think my show about prostitution was spicier than this. Not that I'm wanting to titillate, I just want to share really good songs on interesting subjects!