Thursday, February 07, 2008

Soap box: Shows I wish would play Spokane

I got an email this week from someone asking what shows I'd like to see come to Spokane. So at the risk of sounding self-important, here's my list of what I think MIGHT come through town, and the list of what I WISH would come through town.

The companies that produce touring shows have advertised several that might still be running in the 2008-09 season. They include the Man of La Mancha, The Will Rogers Follies, Fame, Grease, Ring of Fire, Fiddler on the Roof, and Evita. They're all valid choices for a Best of Broadway or other tour, but they're not high on my wish list. The advertised ones that I'd really LIKE to see come to town are:

- Wicked (pop-y music, great fun, huge hit - it's on every theater group's wish list)
- 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (a bit risque but fun)
- Pajama Game (a fun little classic, featuring Steam Heat)
- Color Purple (the second act has problems, but all in all a good rendition of a fabulous novel)

Then there are the shows that don't have a national tour, but I hope that at least one of the theater organizations around the Inland Northwest is seriously considering. They are:
- Light in the Piazza
- Drowsy Chaperone
- Avenue Q
- Grey Gardens

And then there are some older or more obscure shows that I think might have a different spin today and give audiences something new to enjoy. A partial list of them: Dear World, Working, The Apple Tree, The Baker's Wife, Wonderful Town, Unsinkable Molly Brown, High Society, Kismet, Mack and Mabel, Strike Up The Band.

In any case, the theaters are starting to announce their shows for the coming season. Actually, we know Coeur d'Alene's season this summer (Les Miserables, Once Upon and Mattress, La Cage aux Folles, and All Shook Up) and Civic's season (with even more musicals than usual). Best of Broadway will announce before too long, and I'll climb up on my soapbox then, too ;-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drowsy Chaperone has a national tour. It's coming to Seattle in the fall.

Janean said...

Very good point, it's a rather big tour. And I guess that's why it was off my radar - the full-scale equity productions come to Spokane rarer than a true Blue Moon. The tour's scheduled dates end in summer, but I hadn't seen any notices for a non-equity cast being put together. [Lord knows I make a habit of being wrong :-) ] If it is, then there's a good chance of it coming to Spokane. Certainly when the rights are released to regional theaters, a local production would probably do well here. At least, I'd hope so.

Unknown said...

What about having The phantom of the Opera come to Spokane as it is going to Portland and Seattle! And Wicked is heading to Salt Lake City in 2008-2009?