Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Apr 18: April Actor's Showcase

Today we look through the list of actor/singers born in the month of April, just an excuse to pause and get to know some stage and screen performers of the past and present.

Vivianne Segal: Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered, Pal Joey revival
Howard Keel: Where's The Mate For Me? (Gambler's Song), Show Boat
Paul Robeson: I Still Suits Me (1947 recording), Show Boat
Barbra Streisand: Miss Marmelstein, I Can Get It For You Wholesale
Shirley MacLaine: I'm a Person Too (Some Came Running), Shirley MacLaine In Concert
Carol Burnett: Shy, Once Upon A Mattress
Carol Burnett: Nobody, Carol Burnett Sings
Joel Gray: Mister Cellophane, Chicago Revival
Liz Callaway: Meadowlark (The Baker's Wife), The Story Goes On
Patti LuPone: Where is the Warmth, The Baker's Wife
John Cameron Mitchell: Winter's On the Wing, The Secret Garden
John Cameron Mitchell: Wig in a Box, Hedwig And The Angry Inch
Tim Curry: I'm All Alone, Spamalot

Okay, why didn't I pair John Cameron Mitchell "Hedwig" with Tim Curry "Rocky Horror?" Main reason is that I'm saving it for two weeks from now, when I do rock musicals.

Something I didn't have time to point out - I paired Mister Cellophane with Nobody purposefully. The song intent is the same, and Bob Fosse staged Cellophane just like Burt Williams would have sung Nobody. Williams was a black man singing in blackface, with the traditional white gloves and black hat. During Cellophane, Amos pulls out a hat and puts on the gloves, and does the swaying that Williams would have done. Subtle, but appreciated. (Someday I'll have to compare early vaudeville with more modern tributes.)

No comments: